Yes I know I have been neglecting my blog duties. In fact he actually emailed to remind me of that fact. I really am busy! Okay, so here I am.
A few major things in Brunei and around the world have shockingly happened the past few days namely:
1. Pope Benedict’s (who wears red Prada loafers by the way), embarassing and enraging comment on Islam’s Prophet Muhammad which sparked anger around the world. No reason why they shouldn’t be angry. However, no reason why they should resort to violence. Perhaps the Pope was rather, naive for jumping to conclusions based on unreliable texts. Or maybe I am naive, and he’s smart. What better way to distort the image of Islam by provoking them on sensitive issues? Tsk tsk. What I can say is, all this is unneccesary, could have been avoided and resulted in something ugly.
2. The Thai Military Coup in Bangkok: Well this came as a surprise! Well actually not really. I actually think Mr. Thaksin is somewhat cuckoo. He made so many controversial policies I’ve lost count. He’s like, George Bush. Everyone hates him, yet he always wins in elections. Anyway, I can only hope, after taking this step backward, Thailand will zoom towards the future.
By the way, the Coup was blogged:
State of Emergency in Bangkok Coup by Bangkok Pundit, Blast to past by Lynnkiang Soontra, http://www.interlocals.net/?q=node/382#comment-95, http://enda.goblogmedia.com/, http://sloone.wordpress.com/, there may be others but these are the main ones.
If you are unfamiliar with the Thai coup (highly unlikely because it’s all over the place, but just in case), read this.
3. MIB Forum Perdana: Held at the UBD Chancellor’s Hall (which I think should have its own website by the way). There was a live feed of this “forum” on RTB which I actually tuned in to. My comments are it seriously shouldn’t be called a forum. A talk maybe, or public speech, or perhaps lecture. But not forum. My other comment is that, “having a private jet is mighty useful”. I thought the Sultan wasn’t coming since he was supposed to be present in the UN assembly. Then I remembered, he has a private jet and does not have to buy tickets from Royal Brunei Airlines.
4. Brunei Teachers’ Day Celebration: is tommorow. Happy Teachers’ Day to all teacher-bloggers out there. There are so many of you! Haha. Anyway, yes being a teacher obviously is not easy and it has become more difficult over the past few years. People have distorted views on teaching which is extremely regrettable. Hello. This is the only occupation that has its own holiday/day named after it. That alone should tell you a lot. So yeay. Happy Teachers’ Day! Jasa mu bagaikan cahaya indeed.
5. More than 80% of UBD Graduates (excluding SHB Institute of Education and Institute of Medicine, and (update) IM Students aren’t even UBD Graduates anyway) are unemployed: Major reason being? They’re too quiet. During job interviews, they are afraid to speak up and are as a result seen as having no opinion on anything whatsoever.
This is for everyone out there who is still jobless and unemployed: interviews are the arena to differentiate yourself from everyone else also applying for that particular job. It is YOUR time to show off what you’ve got. You need to wake up, strut your stuff and FIGHT for that position! Your qualifications are in your hand: that means YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES. This is your chance to apply all you have learnt and change Brunei into a much better place to live in, this is your chance to give back what the Government has given to you FOR FREE all your life. Don’t ruin this chance. Those people who are interviewing you are merely humans, they don’t bite, they are probably as nervous as you are and are only looking for someone to fill in that job vacancy. But you also need to do your part and show them how YOU are worthy of their time. So yes, CHIN UP, SHOULDERS BACK, and NO FEAR.
6. I have sold my first batch of brownies to a TESL fourth year, and fellow blogger Goose. 🙂 Hope you like it babe.
If anyone else is interested in purchasing a batch of sinfully fudgey brownies in a personalised gift box (haha), wrapped with ribbons please email me. 🙂 Of course if you would like to make it yourself, the recipe to the most delicious brownies ever is available here.
Oh my god, will this post ever end.