Photo taken from Clarian.org
It’s exam season now. So here’s some biology for you. Do you know where your colon is? It’s also known as the large intestine, and is basically the last portion of the alimentary canal/digestive system and it absorbs salt and water from your food (which by now has probably turned into shit, literally) before you poop it out. Hehe, how’s that for graphic explanation.
Anyway why am I writing about colon? Well, I think a lot of us in this world take our colons for granted. We eat a lot of delicious things that are sometimes not so good for our bodies. But the part of the body that suffers the most is the colon. So today, tomorrow, or anytime this week, as a favor to your colon who has been so nice to you, do a detox.
1. Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fats from your diet.
2. Relax. Avoid stress. Detox your mind as well. Zikir, yoga, sembahyang sunat, massages and meditation are great ways to relieve stress.
3. Juice it up! Drink lots and lots and lots and lots of juice, with no sugar added! And drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Green tea is also a good idea (and I heard of its slimming properties). This aids toxin elimination, and cleanse out your colon.
4. Eat healthy amounts of vegetables and fruits that are packed with vitamins and minerals so you don’t lose out on your nutrients while detoxifying. If you’re missing out on carbohydrates, pick high fibre ones like brown rice, wholemeal breads and pastas. Extra points if they’re organically grown!
5. Exercise, or at least do something active that will make you sweat like running, hiking up hills and mountains, swimming in the sea, or just work it out on the treadmill in your underwear. Make sure it’s frivolous and relaxing! Hehe!
Lastly, try to maintain the above healthy habits so you may be kind to your colon, and also the rest of your alimentary canal. I know this is not a diet blog, but some things are too important to take for granted.
One thought on “Do you know where your colon is?”